Are you in the market for a new ride, specifically a beautiful used crossover SUV, and Chevy Trax is one of your choices?
Your desire to own this popular compact-size SUV from General Motors is admirable because Chevrolet Trax has fuel efficiency and comfy interiors.
However, not all model years are created equal, as there are reports of several model years experiencing common problems, such as automatic transmission and engine issues.
The first-generation Trax, specifically the 2015-2019 models, have been plagued with various issues, from mechanical breakdowns to electrical problems.
But fear not, as we have all your questions answered on this resource!
By focusing on the newer, more reliable models, such as the 2021-2023 Chevy Trax, you’ll enjoy all the bells and whistles of advanced technology, infotainment features, and safety upgrades without worrying about frequent repairs or disappointing performance.
- 1 Worst Chevy Trax Years to Avoid
- 2 Severity Score
- 3 Highest Number of Complaints
- 4 Common Problems and Issues
- 5 Engine Problems
- 6 Transmission Issues
- 7 Electrical Issues
- 8 The Chevy Trax Best Year to Buy
- 9 2021-2023
- 10 2016
- 11 Chevy Trax Life Expectancy
- 12 What is Chevy Trax Lemon?
- 13 Trax Comparisons and Competition
- 14 Buick Encore
- 15 Hyundai Kona
- 16 Dodge Charger
- 17 Key Features and Specifications
- 18 Infotainment System
- 19 Cargo Capacity
- 20 Fuel Economy
- 21 Pros and Cons of Chevy Trax
- 22 Should I Buy a Chevy Trax?
Worst Chevy Trax Years to Avoid
Which are the worst model year I must steer clear of? One of the worst years is the 2015 Chevy Trax, which stands out as the worst model year due to the higher complaints and the seven recalls issued.
The severity score is a metric that measures the level of impact a problem has on a vehicle. It considers the average cost, downtime, and annoyance for vehicle owners.
In the case of the 2015 Chevy Trax, the main issues include its tendency to roll down an incline, even those that are not steep.
Highest Number of Complaints
The highest number of complaints for the Chevy Trax is mainly related to the 2015 model, which experienced issues like:
- Rolling down inclines,
- Mechanical and electrical problems.
2019 Chevy Trax problems: Another year to avoid is the 2019 Chevy Trax, as it received mixed reviews and had a few mechanical and electrical problems.
A sluggish engine and a low-quality interior make this SUV one of the worst Chevy Trax years.
To ensure you get the best experience with your Chevy Trax, consider opting for a model within the 2021-2023 range, as these vehicles have received better reviews for their reliability, performance, and overall value.
Common Problems and Issues
What common problems and issues may you encounter with specific Chevy Trax model years? The focus will be on engine, transmission, and electrical issues.
Your Chevy Trax might experience engine problems, especially in the 2015-2019 model years.
One issue you might face is a sluggish engine, which can affect your vehicle’s overall performance and fuel efficiency.
To mitigate this issue, it’s essential to regularly service your vehicle and address any concerns promptly if you notice any performance issues. The 2019 Trax may have problems with its brakes line, causing them to become disconnected and need replacement.
Transmission issues are another potential problem you might need help with with your Chevy Trax. These issues can affect the smoothness of your drive and the overall performance of your vehicle.
Some standard transmission problems include body rolling and challenges with wheel alignment. Ensure your vehicle receives proper maintenance and necessary repairs to avoid such issues.
Finally, some Chevy Trax models have reported electrical issues. These issues can vary and might include problems with the vehicle’s electrical system, affecting the performance or causing inconvenience to you as the owner.
While electrical issues might not be as common as engine and transmission problems, they can still pose some concerns. It is crucial to regularly inspect your vehicle for any visible electrical concerns.
The Chevy Trax Best Year to Buy
Here, we’ll discuss the top-performing Chevy Trax years that deliver reliable and enjoyable ownership experiences.
The most recent models, from 2021-2023, have received high marks for their reliability, performance, and overall value.
These models have advanced technology, infotainment features, and safety features that set them apart from earlier versions. You will enjoy a more modern driving experience with these newer models.
Another great year to consider is 2016. Although there were some issues with earlier models, like the 2015 Chevrolet Trax, the 2016 version improved significantly.
Buying a 2016 Chevy Trax would provide a well-rounded vehicle, balancing value and dependability.
2013-2015: The 2013-2015 Chevy Trax is worth mentioning. Even though these earlier models may lack some advanced features in more recent versions, they still received good ratings for reliability, performance, and overall value.
Chevy Trax Life Expectancy
A car’s longevity is crucial for you as a buyer because it’s directly linked to its overall value and reliability. On average, the Chevy Trax can last up to 150,000-200,000 miles with proper maintenance and care.
Regular oil changes, tire rotations, and routine check-ups can significantly prolong your vehicle’s life.
Be sure to follow my output and, more importantly, the manufacturer’s recommended maintenance schedule to keep your Trax running smoothly for many years.
What is Chevy Trax Lemon?
It simply refers to those years we listed to avoid due to various mechanical and electrical issues: 2015 to 2019 Chevrolet Trax models.
Remember that while these model years have some issues, individual experiences may vary, and some owners might still be satisfied with their vehicles.
Trax Comparisons and Competition
The Buick Encore is a compact SUV similar to the Chevy Trax. Both vehicles are built on the same platform and offer a similar driving experience.
With a more upscale and refined interior, the Encore’s cabin feels more high-end than the Trax. Additionally, the Encore has:
- Quieter ride thanks to its better sound insulation
- Available turbocharged engine for better performance
- Standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
However, the Encore is typically more expensive than the Trax, something you might want to consider if you’re on a budget.
The Hyundai Kona is another competitor in the compact SUV market. It stands out for its unique and sporty design, as well as its engaging driving dynamics. The Kona also offers:
- A choice between two engines, including a turbocharged option
- Available all-wheel drive
- A more extended powertrain warranty compared to the Trax (10-year/100,000-mile)
Despite these advantages, the Kona’s cargo space is smaller than the Trax’s, which might be a downside if you prioritize cargo capacity.
While the Dodge Charger isn’t a direct competitor to the Chevy Trax as it is a full-size sedan and not a compact SUV, it’s still worth mentioning for buyers who may be open to alternative vehicle types. The Charger offers:
- A more spacious and comfortable interior
- A powerful V6 engine as standard, with available V8 options
- Rear-wheel drive for a sportier driving feel
However, the Charger’s fuel economy is less impressive than the Trax, especially if you opt for one of the V8 engines. Additionally, the Charger has a higher starting price than the Trax.
Key Features and Specifications
The Chevy Trax has a user-friendly infotainment system to make your driving experience enjoyable. This system includes:
- A touchscreen display, making it easy for you to navigate through various functions and features,
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration, allowing you to connect your smartphone and access apps, music, and navigation,
- Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free calling and audio streaming,
- USB ports for charging and connecting devices
Your Chevy Trax offers ample cargo capacity to accommodate your storage needs, whether for grocery runs or a weekend getaway.
The cargo space can be expanded by folding the rear seats, offering more room for your belongings. Here’s a quick overview of the Trax’s cargo capacity:
- With rear seats upright: approximately 18.7 cubic feet
- With rear seats folded: up to 48.4 cubic feet
The fuel economy of the Chevy Trax is an essential consideration for drivers who are conscious of their carbon footprint and want to save on fuel expenses.
The Trax provides a decent fuel economy that won’t disappoint. Here are the estimated MPG numbers for the Trax:
- City: around 26 miles per gallon,
- Highway: approximately 31 miles per gallon.
Pros and Cons of Chevy Trax
Let’s now weigh the pros and cons of making an informed decision:
- Compact Size: The Chevy Trax is tiny and easy to park, especially for city dwellers navigating tight spaces. This makes it a convenient option for urbanites or anyone who prioritizes easy maneuverability in tight spaces.
- Fuel Efficiency: One of the significant benefits of the Trax is its fuel efficiency. With its front-wheel drivetrain, the Trax has excellent gas mileage, saving you money at the pump and reducing your environmental impact. It should be a factor in your decision-making process.
- Affordable: When comparing the Trax to other vehicles in its class, you’ll find it is one of the most affordable options. An accessible price point makes it an attractive option for those on a budget.
- Brake Issues: The brake system is one common issue, especially with the 2019 Trax. Frustrated drivers have reported needing to replace the brake line completely due to disconnections, a significant safety concern.
- Lack of Safety Tech: The Trax lacks modern features like advanced driver aids. While there is a rearview camera, it’s surprising to find fewer driver-assist technologies in this SUV than similar models. The 2021 Trax, for example, only offers additional safety features if you go with the LT trim and add the Driver Confidence Package.
- Limited Towing Capacity: The Chevy Trax may not be the best choice if you need a vehicle capable of towing. With a maximum tow rating of less than 1,300 pounds, it may need help to move campers or larger boats.
Should I Buy a Chevy Trax?
The Chevrolet Trax SUV is worth buying even as a used model. Just avoid the worst years we’d taken time to reveal and explain each problem and concern each model year experienced and complaints from owners!
The Chevrolet Trax is strong, beautiful and rugged; its front-wheel drivetrain is fuel-efficient and can last up to an impressive 200,000 miles on average. Also, it has an outstanding reliability rating and below-average annual maintenance costs!
However, avoid the problematic year models and go for a used Chevrolet Trax year with proven positive records, such as 2018, 2020 and get a used one at an average of $12,500, while a brand new 2022 model will cost about $23,000.