If you’re asking if you can rent a car with cash, then the answer is a big YES. A lot of people assume this is impossible, but it’s really not.
Making use of credit or debit cards to handle your car rental transaction is the common method but definitely not the only one.
There are quite a number of car rental services that accept cash payment for your entire rent process, but they have different methods and you simply have to be ready to go through what it takes.
RELATED: Renting Exotic Car – Costs and Discounts!
Cash Payment Methods of Car Rental Companies
There are different cash payment methods, and the same rules do not apply to all car rental companies. Almost, if not all, car rentals allow you to pay cash for your final payment, that is, at the return of the vehicle.
In this method, you would have used your credit or debit card at pick up, and can only complete the agreement with cash.
The other method is for companies that allow you to pay in cash for the entire process. This means that you can pay cash deposit at the point of pickup or reservation, only that the process is a little bit different from using cards.
Car Rental Companies That Accept Cash Payment and Their Requirements
Enterprise is one of the car rental services that accept cash for the entire car rental process. However, they have different outlets across several locations and this cash method does not apply to all locations.
You can check if it’s allowed by reaching out to that location. Here are the requirements for cash payment at Enterprise:
- You would need two current utility bills. This could include your light bill, water bill, gas or cable bill.
- Enterprise does not have a fixed deposit cost. The minimum cash deposit is between $100 and $300, and it varies based on location.
- You will be required to provide proof of insurance using your insurance certificate.
- Your most recent paycheck and bank statements.
- A minimum of two personal references or guarantors to verify your identity and other details concerning you such as your location.
- A valid driver’s license.
- At pick up or reservation, you will be required to make full payment of your estimated rental cost.
RELATED: Renting Luxury Cars – What to Expect?
Dollar, Hertz, Thrifty Car Rental Services
These three companies are sister companies and so, their requirements are generally the same.
If you intend to use any of them, you can call the exact company location for clarification on any difference in requirement.
The process here is dicier and it’s advised that you start early because some of the requirements take some time before you can get them. See the requirements below:
- First, you need to apply to receive a cash deposit ID card from one of these companies. The processing cost for this is $15 and it is non-refundable.
- The minimum age permitted to obtain a cash deposit ID is 20 years. However, in New York and Michigan, drivers that are at least 18 years of age can also apply.
- You will be required to fill in the Dollar Cash Deposit ID in an application form with your personal and employment information. It takes up to 30 days to get this processed which is why you have to start early.
- A credit check will be performed on your accounts.
Rent a Wreck
This is one of the oldest car rental companies; they rent out old, used, but standard and safe cars.
The good thing about them is that their requirements are not very stringent and so they are a great option, especially if you need a car rental service that accepts cash as payment method urgently.
Most, but not all, Rent a Wreck locations accept cash deposits as a payment method.
- You need a valid driver’s license.
- You must have full coverage auto insurance and be able to prove it.
- Rent a Wreck’s minimum security deposit is $200.
- You will be required to fill a cash qualification questionnaire.
- The minimum driver’s age to use cash payment method is 21 years.
- You will be required to make an upfront payment of your total estimated cost.
RELATED: How to Find Car Rental That Accept Cash!
There are some other medium or small car rental companies that equally accept cash:
Save Car and Truck Rental
This is one of the medium-scale car rental companies that still provide premium services and at a cheap cost. They accept cash and their requirements are easy to meet up to. These requirements include:
- Security deposit in cash before pickup from which your rental costs will be deducted.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Proof of automobile insurance that includes liability protection.
- The minimum age for eligible drivers is 24 years.
RELATED: How to Find Lamborghini Deals Today!
Value Car Rental
This car rental service does not require any credit checks as well, and their rental costs are affordable.
- A valid driver’s license.
- The minimum age is 21 years old.
- You must also have automobile insurance.
- You will need to show that you have a clean record of driving history.
- Full payment cash deposit.
Ability Car Rental
This car rental service is a little limited in its location as it serves Houston majorly.
If you reside close to Houston however, you can still apply. Areas like Channelview, Bellaire, Pasadena, etc. The process is equally smooth and not demanding.
- You must provide proof of insurance.
- You must also provide proof of your residency.
- Your valid driver’s license.
- Driver must be at least 18 years old.
Here’s a breakdown of the difficulty levels and age restrictions of each car rental company to help you make a quick and better decision.
|S/N||Company||Difficulty level||Age restriction|
Should You Use Cash Payment Method?
It is important to note that using cash for car rental has its pros and cons. For example, certain kinds of cars will not be accessible to drivers making use of the cash payment option; you will be restricted to economy or full-size vehicles.
Another disadvantage is that it takes more time to process. However, if you start early and you can follow through, it will be advantageous to you.
It is also a great option for you if you do not have a credit or debit card, that way you are not restricted from being able to rent a car.
The Challenge with Cash Payment
The option for cash payment is not very common with car rental companies because accepting cash is increased risk and liability for these companies.
This is why they need to check all boxes to be certain that you can pay for their services before allowing you to pay cash. Imagine that a person pays with cash, gets the car and simply never returns.
That’s a lot of loss for them and so they need to take measures to avoid such while still providing value for other customers that genuinely need the cash payment option.
This is the basic reason why the car rental companies that accept cash deposits usually have stringent policies and requirements.
However, if you have what it takes, you will be able to successfully conclude your car rental with cash without any issues.
You will not have to be left stranded simply because you don’t have a credit or debit card to rent a car.
All the car rental companies listed above allow you to perform your entire car renting process in cash and those that do not will still allow you to finish up your process using cash if that would be preferable for you.